Don’t be upset if you saw me one day in the morning and greeted me and I looked at you with my little bleared eyes and didn’t recognize you!
We, who wear glasses, understand each other very well. We know what a disaster it could be when its earpieces are loosened. We only get our glasses fogging up in the winter while others enjoy snow playing. Wearing eyeglasses is only high-class in the few first days of wearing it, but its troubles remain with us. What kind of eyeglasses best suits us? How not to fall down on the ground when we go to the pool? What can we do so that while kissing someone our eyeglasses not bother him/her? (What a miserable situation it would be if he/she were also wearing glasses!!!). Beside these problems, what can one do to see better and improve his/her eyesight?
If, like me, you’re tired of wearing eye glasses and you want to swim without any problems and with an improved eyesight, go through this article to the very end and you will become familiar with one of the best ways to get rid of eyeglasses, i.e. LASEK eye surgery.
What is LASEK?
LASEK or laser assisted sub-epithelial keratectomy is a type of laser surgery (such as LASIK and PRK) used to fix eye refractive errors. The refractive errors of the eye, in short, means that our eyes cannot send the light that receives from the objects to the retina. As a result, the image we receive becomes blurry. In fact, eye glasses help our eyes to better bend the rays and focus them on the retina.
In LASEK surgery, a very thin layer with a thickness of 100 to 160 microns is removed from the cornea with a laser or a surgical blade, and then the laser is focused on the cornea to correct the curvature of the cornea. By correcting the curvature of the cornea, the image previously formed by the glasses on the retina, now naturally forms on it. As a result, the person no longer needs glasses. After surgery, the removed layer is returned to the cornea and a contact lens is placed on the eye. As a result, the eyes will function naturally after few days.
Why do we need to have LASEK?
Because it makes you stronger, like before. I remember one day my sister hid my glasses as a kidding and went to school. We searched everywhere but couldn’t find it. I saw everyone blurry and as raster graphics (!!!) in my work office. I hit the wall several times and thought my boss is a client! It was close to fire me for my mistakes! Fortunately, that day had an end and I came back home. I gave a good lesson to her! However, this my weak eyes were always a problem and weak point for me and I always worried about losing my glasses. The fear of seeing everywhere blurry again. Each time I want to swim, I should unwear my glasses and I see almost nowhere. Each time I cry, no one can weep my eyes because there is a block named eye-glasses.
Does LASEK eliminate refractive eye errors?
Yes, LASEK is a low-risk and fully applicable method for eliminating refractive errors. In fact, it removes your vision problems painlessly (actually, a little pain), without bleeding and without anesthesia forever. There is no need to wear glasses or contact lenses every day. By focusing the laser on your cornea, LASEK removes any errors of your eyes and gives it its natural form and function. As a result, you will no longer need to wear eyeglasses.
The effects of eyeglass prescription and type of refractive errors on LASEK
In the past, the doctors prescribed LASEK for eyeglass prescription number up to 16. Now, due to its complications, hardly ever a doctor does this. You should also pay enough attention to your eyeglass number if you are seeking for the best LASEK result. In order to have the best result, read the following text.
• Nearsightedness (myopia)
The doctor can improve myopia levels of up to 10 diopters. LASEK for myopia levels of upper than 10 cannot yield the satisfactory result. As was said in Keratoconus post, nearsightedness is a refractive error. That is to say, light rays refract incorrectly that result in focusing images in front of your retina instead of on your retina.
• Farsightedness (hyperopia)
If your hyperopia level is between 2.00 and 4.00 and even sometimes up to 6.00 diopters, LASEK can help you. Farsightedness is also a refractive error by which the image is focused behind the retina instead of on it. That’s why they see distant objects clearly.
LASEK can treat astigmatism up to 4.00 and at most 5.00 diopters. This is also a refractive error. The cornea in astigmatism deforms into a conical shape like a rugby ball instead of having its round ball-like form. That’s why both distant and far objects look blurry. Most people have mild astigmatism. Severe astigmatism has hereditary cause.
Benefits of LASEK
- Less risk of dry eye than LASIK
- It takes less time
- Corneal neurons are less likely to be damaged
- Corneal damage will be much less in the long-time
Risks and Complications of LASEK
- Blurred vision
- Reflection of rings of halos and light
- Longer recovery period
Who cannot have LASEK?
Beside all of its benefits and advantages, is not a good choice for those suffering from eye diseases. In this case, they should consult a doctor for a better suggestion. Following is a list of people who cannot have LASEK.
- Corneal ulcer
- Severe dry eye syndrome
- Conical cornea (Keratoconus)
- Pterygium (conjunctiva)
- Corneal dystrophy (bilateral abnormal deposition of substances in the transparent front part of the eye)
- And any other eye diseases
How should I prepare myself for LASEK?
Be sure to consult your doctor for consultation so that you will have a comprehensive understanding of your eye. You can make the best decision based on the information that your doctor gives you.
• The minimum age for LASEK surgery is 18 years. That is because before that age, refractive error of the eye is growing and its severity may increase or decrease.
• Your eyeglass prescription has to be constant for at least 6 months. Otherwise, after the surgery, your eyeglass prescription number will increase and you will need wearing glasses.
If your eye-glass prescription number is constant, you have consulted your doctor and you are sure of not having any eye diseases, consider the following notes so that there would be no problems.
- If you used contact lenses, you shouldn’t use them for 48 hours before surgery.
- Avoid eye makeup for 48 hours.
- Avoid taking perfume and creams for 48 hours.
- If you’re anxious, use tranquilizers as you will not be anesthetized.
- You will be fully aware of the duration of the action.
- Be sure to go to a hospital or clinic with a companion.
Say Goodbye to eyeglasses in 15 minutes
The entire duration of LASEK surgery takes between 10 and 15 minutes, and it is an outpatient operation. During surgery, the patient is conscious and his/her eyes will be anesthetized with anesthetic drops.
When you enter the operation room, they will ask you to lie on the bed and keep your eyes open with a device so that your eyes cannot be closed. Then, with anesthetic drops, they anesthetize your eyes and remove the outside layer of the eye with surgical blade and laser. After that, they focus the laser on your eyes and want you to gaze at the blinking light. In this condition, they focus laser in your cornea for 4 to 20 minutes depending on your eyeglass prescription number. Then, they move on to the next eye to do the same procedure for it. Your whole presence time in the operation room is between 10 to 15 minutes and the pain will be with you for at most 3 days. Finally, you should give time to your eyes so that it can better adapt itself with new condition. This recovery time is something between 3 week to 3 months.
Like preoperative care, postoperative care is also important. The cares is so much important that if you don’t consider them, your eyes may dmaged and you may need wearing glasses.
The following is some tips on postoperative care.
- Be sure to visit your doctor the day after surgery.
- 6 months after surgery, you should regularly visit your doctor; according to your doctor’s prescription.
- Don’t use beauty contact lenses for up to 3 months after surgery.
- Don’t use lotion, creams or cosmetics around your eyes for at least three days.
- Avoid wrestling, boxing, and playing boxing for at least 10 days.
- Never rub your eyes for the first few weeks, as it may cause permanent damage to the layer that had been removed from your eyes.
- Don’t worry in the first days while you feel pain. You only need to use pain relievers and rest in a dark room.
- While putting in eye drops, you should only pull the lower eyelid and don’t touch the upper one.
- Avoid taking bath for at least 5 days after surgery.
- Be careful not any amount of water enter your eyes in the first 5 days.
- Use a baby shampoo for the first two weeks.
- Avoid watching television and computer in the first days. That is because the light emitted from them can damage your cornea.
- Headache, eye irritation and some vision changes in the first days after surgery are quite normal and there is no need to worry.
- Take medications and drops according to your doctor’s instructions.
- Use sunglasses to prevent headaches during the first days after surgery even at home.
Follow these tips to pass your recovery period successfully and get rid of eyeglasses; without any complications.
An interesting point!
Some people think that crying will damage their eyes after LASEK. However, crying doesn’t have any negative effects on your eyes. Lacrimal glands aren’t damaged after LASEK and your tears don’t damage your vision. So, don’t worry at all.
Eye is one of the most important organ in our body. Sometimes, we aren’t grateful of this blessing and don’t treat it appropriately. From morning to night, we gaze at the screen of the phone, computer and television without letting it rest. We only know the real value of this precious blessing that have to use eyeglasses to see clearly. It is better to prevent from any possible damage to our eyes before anything bad occurs. If we lose them, the whole world would be dark and blurry and we will regret until the very end of our lives. It’s better to use 2 hours using our cellphones instead of 5 hours and call or see each other instead of chatting. Moreover, if our work or job requires us to work with computer, give rest to our eyes every half hour. I hope you have a colorful and clear world. Send this article in social networks to those who like you, are tired of wearing eyeglasses and contact lenses and comment your experiences of LASEK or LASIK for us or those who are undergoing treatment.